November 22, 2010

It Was a Spackling Good Time

If  you randomly have this bookmarked change your bookmark. It was pointed out to me that I wasn't paying attention and spelled Destruction wrong. I do actually know how to spell destruction, I just tend to type fast and who knows what my fingers were thinking and they don't spell check URLs or blog titles. So I fixed it and the URL is now http:/destructionofvirginia.blogspot.com.


Onward to the destruction!

I've got to say the suckiest thing about spackle is the dry time. It takes forever. Before I dove into spackling my walls I watched a few how to videos on Youtube. According to the guy in the Lowe's one it can take 24 hours (for whatever one he had) to dry. Mine on the other hand took 5 hours according to the bucket.

So I went about spackling. *funny note: Leah calls it sprinkling* Probably the longest process of this, other than drying, was finding a screwdriver to open the bucket. After finally finding a flat head screw driver and opening my bucket it was time to have at it. I noticed spackle has this weird consistency of one of those jello mousse puddings and jiggled funny every time I touched or moved it. Leah wanted to help but I imagine that spackle and carpet are not good friends so I told her she could wipe down the walls. She tried to trade with me, which would have her "sprinkling" and me wiping down the walls but when I declined she decided it was more interesting to watch Tinkerbell and play with Legos.

It took me a little bit of time to get used to it. That one poor section of my wall between the closet and the small kitchen door is always my test area because it's the smallest part. It was the first part to loose it's chair rail, the first to test sanding on and the first to test my spackling skills. After about two attempts I finally figured out how to flatten it out with out removing all of the spackle I'd just put on. I then proceeded on to the rest of the walls which went super easy. That is until I came to the end of the hallway. There are two corners with my linen closet in the middle and the doors to the master bedroom and Leah's room on either side. They are the stupidest smallest corners ever. When I removed the chair rail from them it wasn't even nailed in it was just wedged, that's how stupid and small they are. It took a little bit of thought because my spackle knife or whatever that's called is bigger than the section I was working with. So I washed off an old gift card and used that to apply then was able to use my spackle knife to spread and make it all nice like. Ingenuity strikes again!

Now fast forward through 5 hours of laundry washing and nap taking and I sanded. I've got to say the guy on the Lowe's how to video was on to something. He suggested a sanding sponge, he said regular sandpaper would make lots of dust and boy did it. But it accomplished the job and I now have nice smooth hole-less walls, well sorta. I now know how to fix a corner that got damaged so I need to fix that and I have to get a patch to cover this big ugly hole that used to have an old smoke detector or something hardwired there but it's long gone...so I have a hole with wires sticking out of it. So I need to get some of those little butt things for those and stuff them in the wall and patch it up. Which I'm hoping to get done in the next day or so so I can move on to PRIMER AND PAINT!! Woot. You know you're excited.

Oh and crazy! After I finished sanding and whatnot Randall watched the kids and I headed to the grocery store, I usually go grocery shopping on Monday mornings but we had to work today because we're off Thurs and Friday for Thanksgiving and we work 4 day weeks so this way we get Friday off. So I head off to the grocery store do my shopping, coming back in the dark because it's like 6 something and it gets dark at 4 now *boo* and I hit a freaking deer! I've been driving for 8 years and have never come close to hitting a deer. Luckily it had run far enough forward and I'd braked hared enough that I just hit it's butt and didn't do any damage to myself or my car. Hopefully the deer is OK too.

*I'll add pics later. I forgot my camera at work and my cell is being stupid and won't let me send them*

No comments:

Post a Comment